Feb 17, 2012

The Humming Room

The Humming Room by Ellen Potter is a modern retelling of The Secret Garden.  The tale begins when Roo's parents are killed.  After a short stay in foster care she is taken in by her uncle who lives in an old children's hospital that is located on an island.  Roo slowly explores the island and the home she is living in both of which are filled with secrets to be uncovered.

I loved this book.  It is a fantastic retelling for fans of the story (and for fans of the movie who aren't strong enough readers to tackle the original).  I loved all the characters and found myself really rooting for Roo.  The house is a character in itself with twists and turns that come to life.  The book is fantastic, it kept me interested and I sped through it excited to find out what would happen next. 

Appropriateness:  This is a great middle grade book that kids will love.  Roo comes from an abusive home where both of her parents are addicts.  I would recommend this book to readers 9-14.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...