Jan 23, 2012

A Tinfoil Sky

A Tinfoil Sky by Cindy Sand-Eveland follows Mel who has lived a rough life.  When her mother pulls Mel in the middle of the night from her abusive boyfriends house to move near her grandmother the two end up homeless.  After Mel's mother is arrested she moves in with her grandmother who is less than welcoming.  With the help of a few kind strangers things in Mel's life start to change.

This is an interesting book that lets readers into the life of a homeless pre-teen.  I really enjoyed Mel and found myself rooting for her.  The book is an easy read and although Mel's life is tough she is a good kid who tries to make good decisions.  I finished the book quickly and was very interested in what would happen next.

Appropriateness:  While this book covers a tough subject it does so in a way that kids will be able to relate to and without any adult content (aside from Mel's mom drinking).  I would recommend this book to readers 10-14 

Review copy provided by netgalley


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...