A World Away by Nancy Grossman follows sixteen year old Eliza who takes a job working as a Nanny to take a break from her Amish upbringing and explore the modern world. Eliza grows up during her time away, falls in love, learns some family secrets and must decide if she is ready to become baptized and return to the Amish community or stay in the English world.
This was a delightful coming of age novel. There is a lot of "Bonnet fiction" written for the adult audience and this book explores that environment but is solidly written for a teenage reader. I really enjoyed this book. It was sweet and watching Eliza explore the world and make decisions of what she was doing with her life. I appreciated that while she was naive she was not excessively so. I loved this book reading it quickly.
Appropriateness: There is a bit of alcohol and drinking, an incident of Drunk driving and a few discussions of sex. There is one incident of a boy pushing himself on Eliza but it does not progress further than she is willing. I would recommend this book to readers 14+
