A Soup Opera is a delightful picture book written by Jim Gill. I bought this to read in my music class, not really knowing what to expect. I put the CD in for my first class and opened it up and was delighted. It's an "Opera" about a guy who can't eat his soup. He repeats his problem over and over in a rich operatic voice and other characters come in and try to solve his problem. It's repetitive in a manner that just encourages kids to sing along and the format allows for an easy introduction to operatic singing.
My first and second graders ask for this book every day and my third through fifth graders loved hearing it when I played it in class. It's funny and the punch line comes off at the best time.
The included CD includes multiple repetitions of the book both in one track and separated for teachers that want to act out the play in class.
