Mar 3, 2012

Radiate

Radiate by Marley Gibson features Hayley a girl who decides to try out for the cheerleading squad for her senior year in high school.  After making the team and going through grueling summer practices she notices that there is something wrong with her leg and makes an appointment at the doctor.  She soon finds out that she has a tumor on her leg.  Haley fights through her cancer, refusing to give up on cheerleading and ultimately inspiring her entire community.

I almost didn't read the book because the blurb on the first page of my ARC said something about how the book could show readers the power of positive thinking and my first reaction to that was barf, sounds like too much cheese for me.  However, once I got into the book I couldn't help but be hooked by Hayley's story.  While there were a few things that bothered me (Hayley being so uneducated and unrealistic about her disease, her obsession with popularity) for the most part I felt myself really being drawn into her story and inspired by Haley's actions (even more so when you read the note at the end written by the author's mother and find out that the story is a fictionalized account of the Author's her own disease).  Her classmates act in realistic ways and she has to deal with classmates that are less than supportive.  While the book is tough it's not a book that readers will cry their way though.  I couldn't put this book down and finished it very quickly.

Appropriateness:  There are some party situations with underage drinking (which Hayley does not partake in).  Hayley is seventeen however she acts younger than her age.  I would recommend this book to readers 12+ 

Review copy provided by netgalley





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...