Feb 9, 2011

Dellirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is a dystopian love story set in a world where love has been declared a disease.  When teenagers turn eighteen they are given a surgery that cures them of this disease.  The cured don't love or have attachments to the past.  Lena is at her evaluation meeting when it is interrupted by a protest during which a boy winks at her.  This leads to Lena meeting a boy and reanalyzing her entire life.  

I didn't love this book as much as everyone else did.  It felt very much like other utopia/dystopian novels that have been coming out lately.  That follow a basic formula: girl is happy with life, girl meets boy, girl realizes that her society is creepy and rebels.  I did like the story and the idea of love being a disease was interesting.  I just didn't feel the romance or Lena's rebellion were as passionate as I would have liked to make this a must read for me. 

Appropriateness:   During Lena's rebellion she lies and sneaks out of the house.  There is a very small bit of alcohol use (although no one is drunk).  Aside from that the book doesn't include any objectionable material.  Lena is seventeen and preparing to start her life.  I would put the interest level at 14+
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...